'PDF' is an acronym for 'Portable Document Format'. A PDF file contains one or more page images, each of which you can zoom in on or out from.
PDF files are especially useful when you want to preserve the original appearance and format of a document, especially when sharing working between different computers/operating systems. The The PDF file is designed to look the same on a screen and in print, regardless of what kind of computer or printer someone is using and regardless of what software package was originally used to create it. PDF files are also highly compressed, so that complex information can be downloaded efficiently.
Read more on generating and work with PDF documents.
Friday, March 6, 2015
This session focused on
- how to use Google's free service - Drive
- how to create slideshows for blogs
About Google DriveDrive's storage space (30GB for Google Apps accounts and 15GB for Gmail accounts) allows you to store files online and access them anywhere using the cloud. It also gives you access to free web-based applications for creating documents, spreadsheets, and more.
Because files can be accessed from any computer with an Internet connection, Drive eliminates the need to email or save a file to a USB drive. And because Drive allows you to share files, working with others becomes much easier.
✱ Note the difference between the old Google Drive interface and the new one
|old Drive interface new Drive interface|
Wednesday, March 4, 2015
|A digital story about digital storytelling. Whoa, so meta. Note that this|
digital story uses film rather still images, which won't be a good idea
if you have limited bandwidth.
ClipGrab is a cross-platform program for downloading web videos to your computer. ClipGrab works on almost every computer – Linux, Mac and Windows – and you can download videos off a wide variety of web sites (YouTube, Clipfish, Collegehumor, Dailymotion, MyVideo, MySpass, Sevenload, Tudou, and Vimeo).
How to Use ClipGrab:
- Open up the ClipGrab application
- Copy the URL of any video you want to download and paste in the Downloads window. If ClipGrab is already running, the URL will automatically show in the Downloads window. (NB. For Youtube videos, you can use the Search window to search directly without having to go to Youtube in your browser).
- Select the video you want, then go to the 'Downloads' tab and select the desired format and quality, and click the button Grab this clip.
You can determine the download location in the 'Settings' tab